Apart from qualifications, entering the digital marketing industry requires creative skills, and if you are considering digital marketing as a career, then you must begin from understanding the job of a digital marketer.
Simply said, a digital marketer is an individual responsible for building brand value and generating leads by using digital channels, including –
- Company website
- Corporate blogs
- Email marketing
- Social engine rankings
- Online display ads
- Social media
If you become a digital marketer, then you will have to take full control of the company’s digital strategy and use measurable analytics to find out areas that need improvement across the digital channels.
Skills required to be a digital marketer
Digital marketing is a field where certifications, internship and experience matter. You can complete a digital marketing course from an academy and get the certificate to add to your credibility. It is also important to build a powerful online presence by having plenty of followers on social media pages. the areas in the field you need to cover and gain online marketing skills include –
- Design thinking: A key skill for successful digital marketing, design thinking can help a digital marketer to engage customers the best way by ensuring simple and effective online experiences. Whether it is designing customised apps, online shopping sites, or accessing information, customers will be provided with a better experience.
- SEO and SEM: Digital ads are driven by online searches, so a digital marketer needs to understand SEO (search engine optimisation) and SEM (search engine marketing) for working in the field. There are many strategies to improve the rank for your website on search engines and following the right strategy will allow you to work in the digital marketing field efficiently.
- Data and analytics: Google analytics is an important part of digital marketing. It can help in tracking reports. Monitoring campaigns and applying for funding according to consumer behaviour provide greater solutions for driving more traffic and increasing conversions. A digital marketer needs to use the data collected by the businesses for retaining new customers.
- Content marketing: Content is essential for attracting customers on any digital channel. It can be a website, blog or social media. You can also offer content to people in whitepapers, how-to booklets, case studies etc. A digital marketer needs to understand how content is created and how it can be used effectively. Good quality content can help a business reach its goals and generate more traffic. As mentioned earlier, the digital marketing industry has many areas, but no matter what kind of work you want to do, you need to understand content strategy and analysis thoroughly.
- Video: Sometimes, it gets difficult to get the attention of people with texts. However, from stats, we know that getting higher ranks on Google is easier with video marketing. A digital marketer does not need to be a video producer, he only needs to be able to create a video by focusing on the basics. He needs to have the knowledge and understanding for writing scripts, use the apps or platforms for creating videos and deliver good video content.
Job options in the digital marketing industry
If you want to build a career in digital marketing, then you need to explore the job positions available in the industry. You can choose any career path among these –
- SEO manager: Being an SEO expert, you need to utilise your skills in this position for improving a company’s content. Content creators will decide their strategy with your input so the performance on Google and social media are enhanced.
- Digital marketing manager: You will have to supervise the development of the company’s content strategy and marketing campaigns. The job includes generating traffic and enhancing brand awareness for getting new customers. You will also have to be updated about new technology that can help in digital marketing.
- Social media manager: As the name suggests, you will have to create a schedule for posts, as well as supervise or create posts on social media. In most cases, you need to work in a team with SEO people, other digital marketers and a content marketing specialist to create a digital marketing strategy.
- Content marketing specialist: In this position, you are a creator of content, and you need to come up with a strategy to ensure higher Google rankings by ensuring increased traffic. You will also pick material from videos and use them on social media and blogging.
- Marketing automation coordinator: The individual in this position has the responsibility of dealing with marketing campaigns and their results. It is a technology-focussed position where you need to find the best software for monitoring and analysing customer behaviour.
The digital marketing industry goes through constant change, so, for being a part of it, you need to have a forward-thinking mind and keep up to date within the industry.